While Labor Day is a super busy travel weekend, safety tips for drivers are valuable throughout the year. Here are a few tips and reminders to help keep your family, friends, and employees safe on the road.
- Go with the flow! Normally this tip is given in two words- SLOW DOWN! While slowing down is a solid safety tip, it’s also important to be aware of the speed and pace of surrounding traffic and go with the flow.
- Avoid Distracted Driving. Keep your eyes on the road and put your cell phone away.
- Buckle Up! Buckling a seatbelt may not prevent an accident, but it could be a lifesaving decision should an accident occur.
- Report Unsafe Drivers. If you see an impaired or unsafe driver when you’re on the road, call 911 to report. This call could prevent an accident and be an important step in helping get a careless driver off the road.
- Be cautious and take note of the blind spots of large trucks. If you c
an’t see the driver, the drive can’t see you. For your safety, only pass large trucks on the left side.
- Give the vehicle in front of you plenty of space. We’ve all experienced other vehicles squeezing in between us and another vehicle. While this is frustrating, remain calm and continue to adjust and create space for your safety.
- Flexibility is vital. During heavy travel times accidents, road closers, and unexpected heavy traffic flows can double our expected travel time or make it necessary to alter our route. Start your trip with alternative routes in mind and the expectation that it may take longer than originally planned.
- Keep cool. No one benefits from road rage, so don’t let other drivers’ mistakes impair your judgement. Keep cool, keep calm, arrive safely.
Have a fun and safe time as you travel this weekend!