The news of Hurricane Florence has put many in disaster preparedness mode. While hurricane damage can be devastating, there are things you as a business owner can do to prepare and keep safe.
Fleet safety and management during severe weather situations is towards the top of the list for most business owners or fleet managers. The ability to locate your vehicles and drivers prior to the storm’s impact, as well as in the aftermath, can bring much needed peace of mind. Even with the best vehicle and driver migration plans in place, sometimes storms of this magnitude create situations where vehicles and personnel are unable to make it to the intended destination. Over communicate with your drivers prior to the hurricane’s landfall.
Tips for keeping your fleet safe and dry:
- Never drive in flooded areas and head for higher ground when possible.
- If water rises around your vehicle, turn on your flashers.
- Keep those fuel tanks full.
- Once the height of a storm has passed and utilities and cell signals are restored, you can quickly check-in and locate your fleet via your Rhino Fleet Tracking account.
- If cellular signals go down during the storm, your GPS devices will no longer be able to communicate with our data centers, but they will still store their location data; you will be able to see all locates as soon as the device reconnects to the cellular network.
Tips and resources to help you, your family, and employees prepare:
- Contact key people to let them know your plans and the best way to check in.
- Stock up on batteries.
- Fully charge phones and other communication devices.
- Listen to local weather stations for the most up to date information
- Check fuel levels in vehicles and fill up tanks if necessary.
- Stock essential supplies – bottled water and non-perishable foods are good to stock up on as a precaution.
- Evacuate if told to do so.
Here are some helpful links with more information:
- Disaster Preparedness for People with Disabilities
- Preparing for a Hurricane or Tropical Storm
- Disaster Preparedness for Seniors
- Pet Disaster Preparedness
- RED CROSS EMERGENCY Checklist for BEFORE, DURING, and AFTER a Hurricane.
Our entire Rhino Fleet Tracking Family is keeping those impacted by Hurricane Florence in our thoughts.